What is Skype for Business?
In the 4th Quarter of 2014, Microsoft announced plans to rename its business communication tool Lync to Skype for Business. Lync is a tool that Microsoft has invested in for the past decade, offering a single application that combines all of the communication tools for business. It became a core part of the Office enterprise. When the latest version of Lync is released in 2015, it will be named Skype for Business and include a new server release, client interface, and updates for the UC service in Office 365.
Essentially, customers will enjoy new tools and features like:
- Access to any Skype user on any device
- Skype’s familiar functionality icons
- Skype’s call monitor feature so active calls stay visible when using other applications
- Lync’s content sharing, IM, and telephony
- Improved access and interface functionality
- Ease of use taken from consumer Skype versions
- Security and scalability for every business user